Whether working from home, or at school, I like to know I have a great lunch to hand. My favourite working lunches generally involve some kind of salad. I make up a big one over the weekend, or early in the morning, and it provides lunch for a few days: perfect for when you know you’ve got a busy week ahead of you.
This salad is very typical of the type of easy, healthy lunch I throw together. I generally use whatever is lying around in the fridge, and if you don’t have black rice, than a can of rinsed black beans works just as well. Eat with a hunk of bread and some cold cuts if you wish, and you’ll be well fuelled for the afternoon.
- 1 cup cooked black rice
- 1 cup cooked green beans
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced and soaked in red wine vinegar for 2 hours
- ½ red pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Start by cooking the green beans for 2 minutes in boiling water, then remove and blanch the beans by putting them straight into a bowl of ice-water.
- Add the beans to the cooked black rice in a bowl or platter, then add the red onion, pepper, feta and parsly.
- Dress with your favourite vinaigrette and a squeeze of lime juice.
What are your favourite quick and easy lunches that are perfect for work?