My Mum has been making this recipe for peanut butter cookies for as long as I can remember. It’s now a favourite of mine too: the recipe only takes about 5 minutes to pull together, and the cookies are quick to bake as well as to cool – perfect for when you’re in a rush.
American baking is my ultimate comfort food, and curling up on the couch with a magazine and one of these biscuits is the perfect pick-me-up after a week of flu!
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup peanut butter (I used chunky, but you can use smooth if preferred)
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 beaten egg
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup flour
- Set oven to 175° C (155° Fan) and lightly grease two cookie sheets.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- Drop the mixture by teaspoonfuls onto the greased cookie sheets.
- Lightly press the balls of cookie dough down with a floured fork in 2 directions.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until lightly browned (the cookies will firm up more when cooling, so don't worry if they still seem squidgy).
- Place the biscuits on a wire rack and allow to cool.
What’s your favourite comfort food?