Being temporarily without a fridge and oven means that I’ve had to get a little creative in terms of preparing meals (and because I got tired of peanut butter on toast). This prosciutto and avocado bruschetta is inspired by a brunch I had at Angie’s Little Food Shop (my favourite place in Chiswick for whiling away a weekend morning). Essentially, it’s everything I love in one meal: avocado, cheese, meat and bread. Genius.
I like serving this dish with tea and a green juice for a leisurely brunch, but it’s also perfect for a quick, satisfying lunch when I’m working at home. I generally don’t like to have to spend a lot time making lunch, so when the most complicated step is smashing an avocado, I’m happy!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 ripe avocado
- juice of ½ a lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 slices of emmental for each pice of bread
- 2 slices of prosciutto for each piece of bread
- handful of lettuce leaves
- drizzle of olive oil
- Good, crusty loaf
- Pop a couple of pieces of bread into the toaster.
- Scoop out the avocado into a bowl and mash together with the lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the avocado mash onto the toasted bread, then add the slices of cheese followed by the prosciutto.
- Top with a handful of salad leaves, a drizzle of olive oil and enjoy!
Frankly, even when I have all the modern kitchen commodities, I still like a no cook meal on days when I just can’t be bothered, so here are a few more suggestions:
++ Mozzarella, Basil and Tomato salad (served with a fresh baguette and a glass of crisp of white wine, this is my idea of a perfect meal).
++ Almond Butter and Banana milkshake for a great breakfast or post-workout snack.
++ Quinoa Tabbouleh (just buy pre-cooked quinoa).
++ A great cheeseboard.
Do you have any super easy, no cooking required suggestions for me? I’d love some more inspiration!